What Is Your Favorite Song?

When we talk about song, there are so many things that keep my mind wander around. Like how can a song bring so much memories to one person? How can a song take you to a moment when you are falling in love or when you are feeling down or depressed or else? How can a song do those kind of stuffs?

I mean, it doesn't need to take you physically to a different place at one time. But song do this kind of powerful force that makes your mind replaying thousands of memories; where each memories can relate to a particular moment or certain people or just glimpse of pictures in your eyes that makes you remember about something, that makes you feel something. I wonder, how can a song affect us in so many level like that with such a big impact? We don't move to a completely different places, neither another dimension. But still, once we hear a song, it only takes some time until they throw us into a situation where we can feel something. remember something. Well, that is what I amazed about song when we talk about song.

Oh, hey.. let's get back to his question, darn it!

"So what is your favorite song?" he smiles and then take a bite on his meal.

I smile nervously. He is definitely waiting for my answer.

Ugh, crab! I even need more time to think. Geez, Sarah, this is your first online date meet-up with him! Don't ruin it, come on. But eum, I've opened my mouth and still, this is a tough question to answer. I'm just not sure what to say, gosh!

" Seriously, what is my favorite song? I keep asking myself. Do I have any? Or apparently, there are just too many to mention? Hmm, right, I guess that makes more sense. Yes, there are too many to mention. Because looking back, I hear everything I want to hear. I just simply enjoy a song when it relates to me at certain point. You know what I mean? Like, when I hear one of James Bay's song titled Let It Go, I can definitely say that is my favorite song when it comes to a heart break because, yes, that is the only song I hear to accompany me through my worst time after my break up moment. The lyrics speaks to me about letting go my used-to-be-favorite person deeply. So that's what I'm talking about; you will say that a song is your favorite song when it touches you to a particular moment or with certain people in your life; when it makes you feel something, remember something; be it through their lyrics, their musical arrangement, their vocalist's voice, you name it. Then to talk about their effect further, it will moves your emotion, drives you to cry, to smile, to feel good and bad about yourself, or to just simply make you sing along and enjoy the rhythm.

The point is, for me, song is actually experience. Song is actually what you experience with people, with moments, not just something that you hear through your headphones or the coffee shop's speaker, not just something that you recall and remember the whole lyrics itself, no, it is more than that. And don't make me start with a playlist of song. Because let's be honest, we make our daily playlist for a particular reason, right? No matter what it is. So yeah, in the end, you want to hold some moments or some people inside your playlist named "morning boosters", "slow dance", "midnight heartbreak" close to your hands, no? Let's admit it.

Even to one moment like this, I think we might need to have our background song to just complete this moment. I mean, you know, to at least remind us in the future of our first offline meet-up today. Don't you think so? "


And just as quickly as he giggles, I realize something. Shoot! Did I just say what's inside my mind?! 

"I can't believe I just witness someone whom I first met talking so passionately about something. Woah, and I have to be honest that I enjoy to hear your thoughts." his laugh starts to fade away. "Really, that is the most enjoyable thought about song to complete my day."

Yep, all those rants about one freakin' topic of song are literally came out from my mouth. And he heard that. Clearly, every single word. And that's why now he is happily smiling in front of me with a sparkle in his dark brown eyes.

Great. One thing that I cannot anticipate before, now I feel some heat on my cheeks.

Then slowly, a James Morrison's song is playing through the coffee shop speaker just right by the chorus and it stops us till we look at each other with a smile.

Cause you give me something
That makes me scared alright
This could be nothing
But I'm willing to give it a try
Please give me something
Cause someday I might know my heart


***


Menindaklanjuti sebuah tantangan yang sempat berhenti selama bertahun-tahun bersama Ziza dan Reyuni, akhirnya sebuah karya terlahir kembali. Lega rasanya! Walaupun hey, benar-benar setengah mati dalam proses pengerjaannya. Haha!! *Dasar, deadliners* Tak apa, yang penting sudah melahirkan sebuah tulisan di sini saja rasanya sangat bersyukur. Terima kasih untuk tantangannya yang menghidupkan. Yuk, kita lanjutkan.


P.s. I am soooo glad to be back! Selamat menikmati tulisan saya kembali.

Comments

Popular Posts